Monday, August 9, 2010

Working Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down

Oops! I actually posted this one without any information included! Apparently, I am not supposed to press "return" that many times.

Really, I'm not so down, just sometimes overwhelmed when I think of the work that is going to go into this fall. I am so glad to be back in the classroom but I am so not looking forward to the additional work involved! Really, I should write a very short blog!

One read suggested that I should blog about acronyms used in texting which might be sort of interesting if I knew any. I don't even own a cell phone. While some consider us to be in the stone ages, I just truly don't want to let other people have the ability to contact me that often. I am one the few who will glory when my gmail account has no messages or my telephone message manager is empty. Crazy? Perhaps!

Truthfully, the dedicated Mac user in our home would like to get an iphone but we'll see.

Anyway, if any people who read this want to clue me in re: a few texting acronyms, feel free.

Oh yeah, Jen, if you're reading this, I must let you and all other English people know that I sometimes feel a little intimidated when I know that those reading could also be critiquing my work. This is probably because I do the same when I read other people's compositions. I am somewhat irritated by incorrect capitalization, punctuation, word usage and the like.

And, I also thought I'd respond here, in my blog, regarding potty training. I didn't want the thread to be sent to all my facebook friends when I comment on potty training. We started putting all the kids on the potty at 18 months. With my mom's help, my first was trained by 2 years, 4 months, night time and everything. I mostly looked after my second and the same thing happened. I used to think that people who didn't have their kids trained by 3 yrs were lazy.

Then, I potty trained a child for the third time. I began the same way but with different results. Four months before she turned four, one week before her friends would go to prekindergarten without her, she finally relented and decided to put her #2 in the potty instead of diapers or underwear. There was a very long time when I thought my house would constantly smell like a poop factory.

Lately, in talking with friends, I found out that other kids who get "bunged up" have trouble potty training. They are so afraid to go to the potty because they are afraid they might have a bowel movement, even if they only intend to go #1. So, with this child I've learned not to sweat potty training because begging, punishments or even bribes (she got a mini-computer the other kids didn't get) would not work. We are still working on night-time training with this child and I am just "going with the flow," most literally!

Thankfully, my final potty training experience has been much easier! The fourth and final potty trainer decided one day that she would potty train. One morning, at about 2 years, 4 months, I put her into panties and she had about 3 accidents. (Oh yeah, eventually, this is key; those pull-ups let them be lazy. While it is more work, they are a little more hesitant to wet themselves when they are wearing underwear.) Anyway, when I put a pull-up on her for "quiet time," she had to go and actually told me about it. I was a little miffed that she hadn't done this earlier but after that she just told us all the time. I even have her out of diapers at night even though her older sister is not!

This just shows that while parents need to put effort into training, we really have so little control over what happens.

And, I do find that bribing works. I sometimes think, "Well, they'll be chubby and potty trained."

So after my "opus" on potty training, I should sign out and get to work. On last thing, I am trying not to write too much about my family, knowing that anyone in the world could be reading this! So, if you kind readers are at all concerned, please tell.

Over and out. (Have I used this one before?)

No comments:

Post a Comment